Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Cooking Tries

There are times when you want to write but just cant make urself to do that. Simply cant bring out words inside you, infact cant even make yourself open a word processor to type. Exactly that happened to me after my last post. I was planning to write about my initial cooking experiences but couldn’t do so, perhaps lack of motivation or effort anyhow I am gonna give it another try. Even for that matter I haven’t been visiting any of your blogs either :S bad bad. Hokay so, so far I have cooked umm Qeema, Chicken Karahi, one desi salan (mutton ka), Chicken jalfrezi (courtesy of National Foods Masala), Chicken Qourma (this time Shaan Masala) and not to mention tries at omelet and yea macaronis for quick food. Ummm Qeema was almost tasteless I have no idea what and where went wrong but there was hardly any taste in it and I had to eat it just for the sake of eating it and haven’t tried cooking it since then but will do. I guess I messed up onion and salt and I guess didn’t really cooked it well enough errr don’t really know what you call it in English.

Anyhow next thing was a try at omelet and obviously I don’t need to tell what happened to it, burnt from one side :P and felt like a folded soft leather hehehe, ok but my next try was way better and it turned out to be kaafi tameez ka :P. For Karahi mom got this real easy recipe (from some channel) I would call it one jugaroo recipe :P and it was quite easy so I gave it a go and it turned out to be quite well. Proportions were balanced and was cooked well. Felt good about it :D. Next one was Jalfrezi from National foods I did mess up some yogurt and veggies proportions and it took some time to prepare it but worth the effort. Taste was great but hell spicy aaaaaaaaaaa, waisay hee I am not used to having much spices and am sure I added green chilies bit too much *water please.

Next thing I tried was macaroni with corned beef( I had no idea that it would smell that bad). Also I fried that beef just with some salt and some stuff here and there but the smell aaaaaaaaaaaa *puts on a mask. Had some tuff time eating that though taste wasn’t bad. It might have been lot better if I had used that karahi technique, oh well maybe next time still got some in the fridge anyone for the takers? And yea yesterday tried Chicken quorma lol it was funny. One of its requirement was to fry onions till they get golden and after cooling crush them into pieces. Looks simple? Ok its not when you have nothing absolutely nothing to crush :P and it was kinda funny when I was trying all different utensils to actually crush fried onions. But even before that I had no idea how much to fry them hehe I mean I had never ever watched mom doing it so I had no idea how much brown should they get and how much crispy shud they look so it was one plain guess work and I guess it didn’t turn out that well , ok Hira stop laughing :P. but anyhow overall the dish turned out to be good or was it because I was starving then :P, pata lug jaye ga in next eating. Yes I do freeze my food for later use :P. and yea yea one more thing didn’t I tell you guys I cooked rice :P yaaay ok they look simple but it aint, such a delicate balance act is required :P. Actually I was planning to go for rice cooker but my cooking mentor forbade me to go for it so I was left with no other choice but to try on my own, thank you mam :P. and yea with the help of Saeed and one frantic call to dad back home (since mom was in the stadium watching Karachi fixture of England and Pak) got them fine the very first time :D. now I am looking for ways to spend those 100 dhs which I was gonna do on that rice cooker :P somewhere else. So here there were my cooking experiences so far and oh btw how does one keep omelet from being getting so spongy :P? keep temperature cool maybe??

Ok ok one thing tu I left out completely, yup and that was my try on chocolate cookies :D, hahaha it was funny experience. Got all the required stuff, discovered there were no cookie pans :P. Khair got them too. Start could not have been any more worst, when I had already started with couple of ingredients it was discovered that my weighing machine wasn’t working errrrr, stupid thing its spring got off the hook or something similar. Good thing most of the stuff had measurements with respect to cups and only chocolate chips and coconut were in gms and since those were kinda harmless ingredients(means even if I screwed their ratio a bit wont hurt) so phew bachat. Flour stiffing wasn’t easy because the sieve I was using was of small size so it took loads of time, sigh. Oh well now came the most intresting and funny part yup beating :D. hahaha bowl was kinda small then the comfortable size and because of weird geometry of my kitchen I didn’t have enough space to keep stuff around. So after a while of beating I noticed mixture flying all over the place hahaha, it was one messy scene ok I got it under control (A), but a bit of damage was done to my toaster and frying pan :P. anyhow after that small skirmish came the part of actually baking. Ok people repeat after me “Whenever you plan bake, PreHeat the Oven even if your recipe doesn’t say so, Yes Preheat at high temperature” such a basic concept of Thermodynamics which Hira will explain to you people :P. and if you don’t, your baking time will exceed from 20 mins to 45 or even more and your cookies will be more like brownies and not actually cookies ok but I think brownie thing was also due to the fact that pan shapes were bit deep, rite? after first batch I had still some mixture left with me so used my cake pan for that and though it took some time I guess 30 mins but it was a more civilized cookie and I think it was because of oven already warm as a result of previous try and plus pan was more suited to cookies :P. so that was zee baking venture, but yea they tasted really well yums :D.

woah another big post errrrrr *bangs his head. But yea people cooking umm its fun, baking is more fun :D. so am gonna try more and of course will need more yummy and easy recipes so keep them coming.

--!>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

--> << Home