Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Tale of the Weekend

Oh well I have been really busy these days, not with work though but thanks to these daily 3 hour driving theory classes which are must for us third world country citizens. Timings are from 19:00 till 22:00 and by the time I get home and done with dinner its usually past 23:00, so that is why I haven’t been able to visit any of your blogs *apologies.

Weekend was fun, started with my trip to Global Village( http://www.globalvillage.ae ) and boy that place is fun to visit (only if world cultures interests you). With around 40 countries setting up their pavilions, a huge food area and an another big sector for rides(which surely do host some really exciting for most and scary for me rides). I was having butterflies just staring at one, I wonder what the guys who were riding it must be feeling :P. Pavilions are designed in such a way from exterior, that they represent some famous monument or architect from that particular country. Indian pavilion is one huge area and with loads of stuff for ladies but Pakistani stall was closed because of the concert which was my primary reason to go there. Initially concert was damn boring with all those non-inspiring artists and a weirdo host were trying their luck. Then it was turn of Omar Shareef, he started with all his corny jokes and suddenly his session turned into Jumma sermon when he started appealing for funds for quake victims, quite a weird tone. Then came Ali Azmat start wasn’t good, chords and his own voice weren’t matching up plus sound quality wasn’t great. Anyhow he ended on high note and quite made up for a bad start. Though I was hoping he would do “mein” which he didn’t .

Next day around 22:00 hours my colleague took me to bottom of Jabel(hill) Hafeet. Arabs know how to utilize money that is for sure, there they have turned this complete barren land into one lush green landscape, with hot water being pulled from underground and made to flow through land and it was really hot. We wondered maybe they warm it themselves and its no natural :P. but that place was filled with people, some camping up and some having barbeque. Good place for a nighter but not when its filled.

Sunday was my visit to top of Jabel Hafeet, hired a cab and went up there. Road is very well made, no bad turns so no drowsiness. On the way up there was this beautiful hotel and even further up Sheikh’s place(managed to took a nice snap of it , shall upload). But top was kinda disappointing , like people say it is a huge parking lot and nothing, yea nothing. It is covered with boundary and on one side you can view Al-Ain and on the other side Oman. But you cant actually see much since its so much dusty which hides the view. The cab driver was suggesting me to go there once after it rains, he was like then its all clear and I would be able to view the city much clearly. Now I am eagerly awaiting for my first rain in Al-Ain. As Mitra once mentioned it is chilly up there. Indeed It got quite chilly after sunset and damn I missed the shot of sun setting :(. On our way back we had a look at the hotel, took snaps and later on the way down I tried hard to take snaps of the city below glowing with lights but sigh I don’t think my cam is made for night shots. So that was my looooong weekend , today(since its way passed 0 hours) I got my theory test and then in evening university has arranged this cultural show with money going to earthquake victims so inshAllah I will be going there. Do pray for the theory test though I have heard its easy to pass :P it is the damn practical test which is tuffy.

PS: ohh how can I forgot to mention, famous Pakistan series victory on England. Last day demolition of Pomps batting was worthy of Oscar winning performance. Reminded me of the days when Great Wasim and Waqar used to demolish any batting lineup. Special joy to watch rebirth of Shoaib as the match winner(I hope he continues to do so) and Inzamam's further proof of why he is one of the very best batsman in the current era. More Importantly improvement in his captaincy was clearly visible during the entire series. Lastly, farewell to George Best as they call him legend of Old Trafford, I haven’t seen any of his footage but am sure whenever I will, I shall definitely be an instant fan of his.

Yea one more thing here the pics of Dubai Artificial Skiing Resort, have fun ;).

--!>

--> << Home