Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Bob Woolmer




Tough, you think you've got the stuff
You're telling me and anyone
You're hard enough

You don't have to put up a fight
You don't have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches
For you tonight

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don't have to go it alone


Last couple of days have been a shocker, after our humiliation at the hands of Ireland I thought nothing can get worst but just after few hours I was proved wrong. Bob Woolmer our team coach left us. The circumstances in which this event took place, it hit all of us deep down inside, it was shocking I still cannot believe it. Sports taking life of someone, it is totally unimaginable. As soon as I heard the news on TV I called up my friend but I couldn’t gather the strength to tell him, I just asked him to switch to Geo it is about Bob Woolmer I told him. Emotions got better of me and I was struggling to hold on to my tears. Soon smses started to flow in, people called and everyone I talked to was in complete state of shock and grief. It felt someone very close to us has left, someone very dear. It is very rare that death of a person who is not even a fellow countryman can hit a Nation so hard. Such our love to game of cricket is and such a love we had for one who was serving our cricket team with all his commitment and determination. I don’t think I have shed these many tears since years. But it wasn’t just us, everyone who is associated with cricket was equally upset. Tributes keep pouring in from ex players, current coaches, current stars, respective boards which goes to show how much he was respected and loved by everyone.

In 2004 when he joined the Pakistani team as coach, there was a feeling among us the cricket fans that the good days are not far away. Though they arrived slowly but eventually once again we were beginning to challenge the very best in the game. Our Test and ODI rankings got higher and perhaps that is when we(fans) got rapacious and started demanding more, a pressure which could very well be the cause of his sad demise.

Woolmer was a true professional a wonderful innovative, his services to Pakistani team are tremendous, he had his short comings too but then who doesn’t. But he completely changed the outlook of our side. He gave them the direction, mental strength and self belief. And as a result we witnessed some miracle performances from our team. Along with Inzamam he transformed this team from a bunch of talented but erratic individuals to a formidable unit. The unity which was visible within the team was an effort of both of these two. That is why even after losing three key players for the world cup we still believed that we can if not win it can achieve a lot in this World Cup. Maybe he believed in that too and our shameful exit took its toll on him. Whatever the reasons maybe but its hard not to believe that if he had been coaching some other team then it may not have happened, but as Muslims we believe that death has its time and circumstances are just a way of it.

Woolmer was famous among journalist and fans for his kindness and importance he gave to them and their opinions, that is why I remember before the world cup me and Abid chatted about to suggest him our playing eleven and our preferred batting order. Though we never managed to do that (call it laziness) but we were hopeful that if we do email him he would respond, such an access to national team coach was unimaginable before him. And when yesterday I met Abid on chat we could hardly talk to each other.

Tomorrow Pakistani team will play its last match of the world cup, it will be very hard for them to concentrate on cricket he was like a father to them. But they are dedicating this match to him. I just hope they give such a sort of performance which would have pleased Woolmer. Plus it will be Inzi’s last game I am just praying that he leaves the ODI stage with a thumping performance.

In the end I will end this post with the great man’s own words

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery. Today is the present - a gift to make the most of.”

He lived for cricket, he died for cricket.

PS: picture courtesy of sportinglife.com

Labels:

--!>

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

--> << Home